Course Number: INTEGSCI 100
- First-year seminar
- LAS elementary level
- Breadth, natural science
- First-year student (first-year freshmen only, no transfer students)
Schedule Fall 2021:
- Mon. 2:25 – 4:20 p.m. (designated FIG section)
- Wed. 2:25 – 4:20 p.m.
Sign up for lecture and discussion.
Course Director: Cara Theisen, PhD
A first-year course focused on the core concepts in biology (evolution; transformation of energy and matter; information exchange and storage; structure and function; systems biology), professions in biology, and the foundational skills and knowledge needed for successful academic and post-graduate careers in biology.
In Exploring Biology you will:
- learn skills and ways of thinking that will prepare you for success in future biology courses;
- gain new perspectives on broad topics and current research in biology;
- explore opportunities and careers that can come with a bioscience degree;
- pick up great tips and advice on how to get the most out of being a bioscience major from upper-level students; and
- meet new friends and mentors who share your interest in biology.
Quotes from Integrated Science 100 students:
“I learned about different aspects of biology, but also things about my campus and the resources that are available.”
“This course allows you to explore major biological themes and the different paths you could take if you continue to study biology or any other science.”
“The relationships that I built in the class are ones that I expect to keep in the future.”
“I learned skills which will be useful in other college courses.”
“I learned of the countless activities on campus and how to get involved. I met some very kind and interesting people.”
Note: This course is a topics course intended to be taken before the introductory biology series, and is not an introduction to biology course.
Optional FIG Opportunity
Exploring Biology is part of the First-year Interest Groups (FIG) Program, which creates learning communities by connecting students who are enrolled in a cluster of classes together.