WISCIENCE (pronounced wis-cience), the Wisconsin Institute for Science Education and Community Engagement, offers courses and programs that are designed to enhance STEM students’ Wisconsin Experience by engaging them in meaningful learning experiences within and beyond the classroom.
- Our courses and programs complement and enhance students’ experience in their academic department by helping students explore STEM opportunities, apply what they are learning in research and service, build community with other STEM students, and become leaders in STEM.
- Areas of focus include supporting STEM students’ transition to the university, undergraduate research experiences in STEM, service and community engagement in STEM, scientific teaching, leadership and mentoring in STEM, and STEM professional development.
- All our courses (instructors) are committed to enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in STEM.
Serving the Entire University and the Surrounding Community
Since 1989, WISCIENCE has collaborated with educators at all levels to create model programs, courses, events, projects, resources, forums for dialogue, and other solutions that help broaden participation in STEM and make STEM education and mentoring more effective for more people—at UW–Madison, in K-12 schools, and beyond. We provide a temporary or permanent home for effective solutions that have no other means of support, so our constellation of programming continually evolves in response to community-identified needs.
Vision: Advancing the practice and impact of STEM
Mission: To enhance engagement and strengthen success in STEM through equitable and inclusive initiatives, collaborations, service, and scholarship
- Build and support communities of STEM learners, leaders, and practitioners
- Deliver courses and programs in STEM disciplines that:
- Develop knowledge and skills for success in STEM
- Build STEM identities and confidence
- Provide professional development in teaching, public service, leadership and research in STEM
- Provide opportunities to engage in teaching, public service, leadership, and research in STEM
- Foster inclusivity in STEM through initiatives and programs that support diverse populations
- Lead and collaborate on local and national efforts to improve STEM education by developing and disseminating evidence-based programs, curricula, resources, and other scholarly products