Position title: Director of WISCIENCE, Associate Professor of Kinesiology
Phone: (608) 262-1182
445 Henry Mall
Madison, WI 53706-1577
Ph.D., 1996, Physiology, University of Wisconsin – Madison
M.S., 1993, Physiology, University of Wisconsin – Madison
B.S., 1990, Zoology, Iowa State University
Curriculum Development and Evaluation Research
Committees, Collaborations, Affiliations
- UW-Madison Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP)
- Wisconsin Alliance for Minority Participation (WiscAMP)
- College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Honors in Research Committee
Invited Workshops / Selected Publications
- 2008 – Mentor & Mentee Training Workshop, University of Texas – El Paso
- 2008 – Entering Mentoring Presentation, National Academies Summer Institutes
- 2008 – Entering Mentoring Presentation, UW-Madison Symposium on Teaching & Learning
- 2006, 2007, 2008 – Mentoring Training Workshop, Arizona State University
- Pfund, C., Maidl Pribbenow, C., Branchaw, J.L., Miller Lauffer, S., and Handelsman, J. (2005) The Merits of Mentor Training, Science 311:473-474.
- IntegSci 260/261, Entering Research
- IntegSci 660, Research Mentor Training
- Biocore 323, Organismal Biology
- IntegSci 100, Exploring Biology
- IntegSci 150, Ways of Knowing Biology (currently Exploring Research in STEM)
- CALS 388, Honors in Research Seminar
- Anatomy & Physiology 235, Human Physiology and Health
- Anatomy & Physiology 335, Human Physiology
- Physiology 720, Medical Physiology
- Anatomy 437, Human Anatomy
When not teaching animal physiology or working to improve undergraduate biology education, I enjoy spending time with my family, swimming, and reading.
Peer-Reviewed Papers Published or in Press
Branchaw, J., Theisen, C., & Trimby, C.(in press). Leveraging a Graduate Student Teaching Fellows Program to Enhance Undergraduate Education. In Approaches to Graduate Student Instructor Development and Preparation, New Directions for Teaching and Learning. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. Publication Oct 2020.
Cary, T., Wienhold, C. J., & Branchaw, J. (2019). A Biology Core Concept Instrument (BCCI) to teach and assess student conceptual understanding. Life Sciences Education, Vol18(3). DOI: 10.1187/cbe.18-09-0192.
Branchaw, J., Butz, A., & Smith, A. (2020). Evaluation of Entering Research: A Customizable Curriculum for Undergraduate and Graduate Research Training Programs and Courses. Life Sciences Education , Vol. 19(1). DOI: 10.1187/cbe.19-04-0073.
Branchaw, J., Butz, A., & Smith, A. (2020). Entering Research: A Curriculum to Support Undergraduate and Graduate Research Trainees, 2nd ed. Macmillan.
Butz, A., & Branchaw, J. (2020). Entering Research Learning Assessment (ERLA): Validity Evidence for an Instrument to Measure Research Trainee Development. Life Sciences Education, Vol. 19(2). DOI: 10.1187/cbe.19-11-0243.