+ Lab (choose 1)
Integrated Science 240: Service with Youth in Stem
Engage children in ways that can be transformational—you could inspire someone to be a scientist! Learn about community building, communication, the needs and learning styles of children, and how to evaluate informal (non-classroom) learning experiences. Then practice what you learn by helping lead an after-school science club in the Madison area, reflecting on your learning, and sharing with your peers along the way.
Service with Youth in STEM prepares students for effective, mutually beneficial relationships with partners in the Madison area. The lecture component includes communication strategies, awareness of social issues, and self-reflection. Students will work with community partners to lead elementary after-school science clubs. The course is generally designed for STEM, communication, and education majors, but all students of all majors are welcome.
This course helps you:
- Learn about mutually beneficial community partnerships
- Expand your cultural literacy by working with underserved groups
- Make use of what you're learning in your science courses right now
- Expand your appreciation of science, particularly its impact on our daily lives
- Explore mentoring as a part of the scientific process
- Live the Wisconsin Idea
445 Henry Mall
Madison, WI 53706