Due to Covid-19, the Entering Research Summer Scholarship Program is cancelled for Summer 2020.
The WISCIENCE Entering Research Program supports students eager to dive into STEM (science, technology, engineering, or math) research during Summer 2020. The program takes place June 1st – August 9th, 2020. Students enroll in 1-3 credits of Integrated Science 299: Independent Research with their research mentor and Integrated Science 260: Entering Research Seminar (1 credit) to build research skills, practice science communication, and develop their STEM identity. Students in the program receive a $2,500 award that goes towards tuition expenses for Summer 2020.
Students participating in the program will:
- Build research skills by engaging in independent research
- Practice science communications skills
- Be a part of a supportive community of peers and mentors
- Receive a $2,500 award towards Summer 2020 tuition
- Current undergraduate student at UW-Madison with 0-2 semesters of research experience
- Must have a confirmed research mentor to work with during Summer 2020
- Agree to:
- Enroll in Integrated Science 260: Entering Reserach I (1 credit); Mondays 3:30-5:00pm
- Enroll in Integrated Science 299: Independent Research (1-3 credits, equivalent to 10-30 hours per week)
- Present at the Entering Research Poster Session on August 3, 2020
- Complete the online application by April 12th
- Why are you interested in engaging in undergraduate research and what do you hope to learn from your research experience? (Maximum 1,250 characters including spaces, approximately 200 words)
- Briefly describe 1 science topic or idea you would like to learn more about. What are one or two questions that you have about this topic or idea? (Maximum 1,000 characters including spaces, approximately 150 words)
- Describe a time when you experienced an academic challenge. How did you navigate that situation and what did you learn that can be applied to a future challenge? (Maximum 1,250 characters including spaces, approximately 200 words)
- Mentor information: Submit your mentor(s) name and contact information
No mentor? No worries! We are here to help.
Please fill out this interest form so we can follow up with resources to help you find a mentor. Get started today by checking out the resources below.
Research Peer Leader Drop-in Hours:
Stop by our Research Peer Leader Drop-in Hours! The peer leaders will provide an overview of the process of finding a research mentor, helpful tips for finding mentors, and one-on-one feedback on emails to professors.
BioCommons Rm 108 (Steenbock Library)
No need to register, just drop in! If you are unavailable during these hours, contact Liza Chang (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make a separate appointment.
Find a Mentor Workshops:
Attend one of our Find a Mentor workshops! Our workshops will
- Thursday, February 27th, 6pm-7:30pm
- Monday, March 9th, 6pm-7:30pm
- Wednesday, April 8th, 6pm-7:30pm
All workshops are located in the BioCommons (ground floor of Steenbock Library)
Register for a workshop today! https://wiscience.wisc.edu/findamentor
445 Henry Mall
Madison, WI 53706
I earned my PhD in Plant Breeding Plant Genetics from UW-Madison and continued my education with a postdoctoral experience centered on developing first-year transition programs for biology students. After working at the University of Michigan in the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching, I joined the WISCIENCE staff as the Director of Mentor and Mentee Training.
I coordinate the Integrated Biological Sciences Summer Research Program, coordinate and instruct the Entering Mentoring and Entering Research courses, and oversee the research peer leadership students.
Outside of work, I love hanging out with family, cooking, and spending time outside.