Applications are now open for 2019 Scientific Teaching Fellows! The Wisconsin Program for Scientific Teaching is looking for graduate students and postdocs who want to participate in professional development opportunities related to effective teaching, gain valuable experience for a career in college science teaching, and collaboratively teach a first-year biosciences course with ongoing support and mentoring.
Application deadline extended to November 18, 2018, 11:59 pm
Program Eligibility Requirements
Participating in the program requires:
· Interest in and enthusiasm for teaching, and a willingness to try new teaching approaches
· Completing the program in its entirety, from January 2019 - January 2020, including attending the College Science Teaching course in Spring 2019, semi-regular meetings in Summer 2019, teaching and weekly meetings in Fall 2019, and compiling a teaching portfolio to wrap up the program (Learn more about the program)
· Approval from your PI/advisor to participate in this program (you may be asked to provide this approval in writing in the future)
· Your major field of study involves the life sciences in some way (check with Dr. Theisen if you have questions)
· An online application form with:
· Your contact and program information
· A research blurb: You are riding on the bus and the person next to you asks you to explain your research. You have until the next stop which translates to a MAXIMUM OF 150 WORDS. How do you explain what you do?
· A resume or CV that includes:
· Teaching experience (specify your role/responsibilities for each course)
· Research and mentoring experience
· A list of any courses, trainings, or workshops that you have taken related to teaching
· A personal statement (1-2 pages) that addresses these topics:
· Your career goals
· Why you are interested in participating in this program
· Your ideas on what is important in undergraduate teaching and learning
· A statement of your existing obligations (research, teaching, etc.) and known conflicts from January 2019-January 2020. Include any time periods that you would be unavailable for program responsibilities and recurring weekly commitments when you are unavailable for meetings.
445 Henry Mall
Madison WI, 53706