Must be a TA in a STEM course concurrently
- Thurs. 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
This course aims to arm new TAs with survival skills in scientific teaching through theory, practice, and learning community. Get just-in-time support as you work with students, share experiences and innovative ideas with colleagues, and enhance your knowledge of teaching and learning. You will learn the core themes of scientific teaching (active learning, assessment, and diversity) and apply them to the courses you are teaching.
This course will address questions such as:
- How does learning work?
- Who are my students, and how can I better engage them?
- How can I give students feedback that fosters learning?
- How can I create a positive learning environment?
- How can I teach efficiently (to balance teaching with research) and effectively?
The course is especially appropriate for new TAs, or TAs with limited teaching experience. TAs teaching all levels and types of STEM courses are welcome to participate.